Passport FAQ's

Do I need a passport for travel to Hawaii?

Not required, however, if your cruise or travel itinerary includes travel to somewhere outside of the U.S. (Fanning Islands) it may be mandatory. Check with your travel agent for more information.

Can my passport be delivered to my PO Box?


How do I change my name on my U.S. Passport?

If your name has been legally changed due to marriage or a court order within one year from the date of issuance of passport, send a completed form DS-5504, U.S. Passport Re-Application Form, a certified copy of your marriage certificate or your name change court decree, two passport photos and your current valid passport to address listed on form DS-5504

Note: that photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable for passport purposes. There is no fee for this service unless you require expedited service.

Just how many forms are there for passports?

DS-5504 – U.S. Passport Re-Application Form
DS-4085 – Application for Additional Visa Pages
DS-19 – Passport Amendment/Validation Form
DS-11 – First Time Application for Passport
DS-82 – Passport Renewal by Mail
DS-64 – Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport
DS-3053 – Statement of Consent: Issuing a Passport to a minor under the age of 16.

I made a mistake on my Passport application; can I just use “white out” to fix it?

NO white out or corrective tape will be accepted by the US Department of State.  Cross through the incorrect information once and write correct information legibly.

Can I use abbreviations for eye and hair color?

No abbreviations are accepted.  Applicants must spell out blue, black, brown, blond or bald.

I’ve been married a ‘few” times, but my current husband doesn’t know how many, can I just use my current married name?

No. A customer using a previous married surname must provide information regarding that marriage.  Since the passport application form only has space to list the most recent marriage, the customer must provide a separate Previous Marriage Information Sheet with all ex-spouses’ names, dates and places of birth and reasons for termination of the marriages (typically death, divorce, or annulment).

Can I use my driver’s license as proof of ID?


Can I wear a hat or sunglasses on my head for my passport pictures?

No. There is to be no headgear in passport pictures unless accompanied by a statement form the applicant that it is worn for religious reasons.

Passport was lost or stolen.  How do I report it?

Please contact the US Department of State toll free: 1-877-487-2778 (TTTY 1-888-874-7793) or by submitting a Form DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport.  For more information go to U.S. Department of State’s website:

I had lost my passport and have gotten a new one, but now I’ve found the old one, what do I do with the old one?

The passport agency requests that the first passport (the one reported lost or stolen) be returned to the passport agency because it has been invalidated. The address to return the passport to is located on the DS-64 or U.S. Department of State’ website:

When I was in the military, I was issued a passport. Now I am out of the military and my passport has expired. May I renew it?

No. A military and a tourist/business passport are two different types of passports.

Where do I apply for a No-Fee Passport?

The United States Government only issues these types of passports to individuals traveling abroad in connection with official employment.  Advise customer to obtain information from 1-877-487-2778 or

My ten year passport needs to be renewed; do I need to send my birth certificate again?
No. Your old passport, while expired can still be used as proof of citizenship.


I need my passport in a hurry. Should I pay for expedited processing of my passport application?

  • If you are traveling within 14 calendar days, you must make an appointment at the nearest Passport Agency by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
  • If you are traveling within 2-3 weeks, you must request and pay for expedited service plus two-way overnight delivery service. For current expedited service fee information click here.  
  • If you are traveling within 3-4 weeks, the Department of State strongly recommends that you request and pay for expedited service. For current expedited service fee information click here.   
Google Translate
Home | Court Services | Jury Duty | Employment Opportunities | Financial Information | Enhanced Guardianship Audit | Guardianship Advocate | Inspector General Department | Internal Audit & Investigation | Minutes and Documents | Official Records/Recording | Property Sales | Protecting Your Information | Reports & Statistics | Tourist Development Tax | Value Adjustment Board (VAB) | Disclaimer | Clerk of Court | eFiling | Online Services | FAQs | Contact Us | Government Links | Site Map | En Español